If you believe that roofs are arguably the most important parts of our homes and buildings. Try and imagine a life with no roofs; buildings would practically be inhabitable. Roofs take all the beating from hail, rain, snow and other elements of the weather while we stay underneath them warm and dry going about with our activities. However, these roofs can only shelter us for a specific period and they undergo various types of damages. If you wish to see one serving you for a long time, it is prudent to invest in roof repairs from time to time so that any small problem with it can be addressed before it becomes serious and force you to spend more or even replace the entire roof.
Going about roof repair projects is not a straightforward thing since you need to address several issues. Who is the best roof repair contractor in Dublin for the job? How much will the repair cost? How often should the contractor come to check out the roof? What if the roof is repaired and the problem keeps on persisting? What kinds of damages are roofs prone to in Dublin? These are some of the questions that will linger in your mind when planning for a roof repair project. This article will look into some important aspects surrounding roof repairs so that at the end of it all, you won’t be lost and will have a good idea of how to tackle such projects. Read on;
Common Types Of Roof Damages and Their Fixes.
Nowadays, you are not limited to anything when picking a roofing material. They all vary in terms of their durability and susceptibility to various elements of weather. This part will look into some of the most common damages on your roof and how they can be fixed.
1. Blow Off Damages.
These kinds of damages mostly affect slant roofs since the roofing material acts as an obstacle to the wind. The wind can damage the roof in many ways, and the most common one is blowing off the material from some part of the roof. It all depends on the strength of the wind, and it could even blow off the material from the entire roof depending on how it is exposed. Other parts that can be damaged by the roof are the felts and sheathing that can be blow off.
Fixing blow off damages is not complicated since all one has to do is to replace the material that has been blown off. The new material should be attached to the base of the roof firmly to prevent further damage from winds.
2. Structural Damages.
These damages come in various forms and could even be caused by winds and storms. They are the ones where some plants and items around the house fall on the roof and cause damage. An example is a tree blown down by a storm and falling on a roof thus causing damage. The impact of such structural damages depends on the items that have fallen on the roof. They range from simple punctures on the roofing material and sheathing to the entire collapse of the roof. Some of these damages are severe and even damage some internal parts of your home.
The proper fix for such damages largely depends on the extent of the accident. For the most serious ones, a roof replacement is recommended as the best course of action. Small damages such as punctures and partial breakage of the roof structure can be fixed easily by a pro. From the main Dublin City Roofing | Recommended Roofers Dublin
Roof shingles can be damaged due to a wide variety of reasons. They wear out long before the roof wears out and might have to be replaced. Other causes of damage to the shingles can be by wind, impact by other items and foot traffic when someone is inspecting the roof. Old shingles cannot serve their purpose anymore, and they become brittle and detract from the roof. When checking the shingles, it helps to look at the nails that have penetrated through the shingles as they cause leaks.
Fixing damaged shingles entails replacing them or even the entire roof as advised by an expert.
4. Roof Leaks.
These are the most common damages to roofs today. Leaks can be caused by many things which damage the roofing material and sheathing thus allowing water to seep through. Leaks are troublesome since they vary widely and detecting one is not easy. In some cases, pools of water accumulate on your roof and flow through the material over time and into your home. Furthermore, leaks caused by ice dams are complicated since the location where you will see water inside your space may not even be close to where the leak is located on the roof.
Professionals come in handy when fixing leaks, and they can do it by inspecting the cracks and flashing on the roof. They will also look at the chimney and vents, damaged shingles and leaks in the deck for any signs of passages that can allow water to seep through. Depending on where they spot the space, they will seal it and pour water to determine whether it still leaks or not.
5. Missing Flashing.
Roof flashing is an important part of the roof. It is meant to keep water away from the roofing and building materials or any other part of that roof that can be damaged by moisture. Over time it gets destroyed and allows water to seep into the roof. Other common problems with this part are incorrect installation or missing flashing due to various reasons.
Fixing the flashing depends on the damage to it and is mostly done by inspecting the roof and replacing them or installing the existing ones correctly. Flashings are relatively durable and can be recycled.
6. Gutters and Downspouts.
Gutters and downspouts are meant to direct water flowing on the roof away to a drainage system. This helps to avoid cases of water accumulating on the roof and triggering leaks. They need to be in good condition to prevent moisture damage on other parts of the home. These parts need to be working correctly and can be damaged in many possible ways. Common causes of damage are dents on different sections and detaching of some parts if the wood or attaching material becomes loose. Gutters can also be blocked by debris on the roof, and this makes them unable to let water flow freely.
Fixing it is done by inspecting the interior part of these gutters and clearing out any material that might block the water pathway. Dents and scrapes can also be fixed to allow water to flow freely.
8. Roof Blistering.
Blistering on roofs is caused by trapped moisture and poor ventilation within shingles. When this moisture is trapped, it can be heated by the sun and make it expand, thus forming a blister. Blisters are not much of a bother since they do not affect the roof, but the problem comes in when it pops. If the blister stays that way for long, it could lead to granule loss. This loss will reduce the lifetime of the shingles and make your roof susceptible to more damages.
Blisters should be pointed out clearly since they can be confused with other forms of damages and fixed by releasing the trapped moisture.
Roof Replacement Vs. Repair? Which Is The Best Option?
This is one major decision that you will have to make when there are damages on your roof. While most people will lean to repairing the damaged part and moving on with life, it is not that straightforward. The cost of repairing some parts of the roofs has risen over the years, and so has the cost of replacing the entire structure. Well deciding between these two can be done by looking into a couple of defining aspects. Read on and find out more;
• It is important to look at the age of your roof before anything else. While several things can cause damages, sometimes they may be a sign that your roof is ageing and requires a replacement. Different roof types have their expected lifespans, and most of them will last between 15- 30 years. If the roof is between fifteen and twenty years old but still in excellent condition, then repairs still be the viable option. However, roofs that are past twenty years old are not suitable for repair, and it is advisable to replace them rather than having a repair contractor at your place every single week.
• The extent of damage is another determinant when deciding to replace or repair. If there is some damage such as a leak, a professional will inspect and check out the extent of it. If the leak is isolated, a repair might work, but if the roof is leaking in many places, a replacement might be in order.
• You should also look at the time you are planning to stay in that home. If you have plans of selling it in a couple of years, and the roof is in top condition, repairs will be your best choice to avoid the financial implication of installing a new one.
• There is an option of installing a new roof over an existing one rather than doing it from scratch, and it also has some implications. While it will save you money and time, it is like covering over the damage which could even become worse over time. Building codes allow one to roof up to two layers since additional layers could become too heavy for the building. Roofing over an existing one is a short-term fix since you will have to pay much more when the time to rip the layers apart comes.
Choosing A Roof Repair Contractor see us at roof-repairs-north-dublin.onepagebusinesswebsites.com
All the information about roof repairs has been presented above, and you will be faced with the task of selecting the best roof repair contractor in Dublin. You will come across several of them telling you why they are the best option but do not fall for this. Selecting one can be done by checking on a couple of things and here are some of them;
• It is advisable to go local. Go for businesses that have a good reputation in Dublin since they are familiar with the challenges affecting your roof. They are a good option since you do not need to wait for long before they can handle an emergency. Lastly, they are more likely to live up to their warranties.
• Experience is key. Roofing repair contractors that have been in the industry for long are your desired option since they have dealt with different scenarios and can offer a proper solution to your roofing problems.
• All roofers will tell you how good their work is but you have to prove this. Ask for references and people who have worked with them for more information on how they operate. If most people were satisfied with their work, then the chances are that they are good at what they do.
• Compare and contrast the proposals offered by various contractors before choosing one. This is the best way to pick a suitable contractor since you can determine the best one out of the ones available. Assess how they approach the problem at hand and amount they quote before making a choice.
Some important things have been mentioned about roofing repairs, and you must have an idea on how to approach such problems. The common types of damages have been presented and do not be surprised when you start seeing certain things on your roof. All in all, ensure that you plan for your roof repair project well and find a reliable contractor who will work on it diligently.
Dublin City Roofing | Recommended Roofers Dublin | southdublinroofing.ie